Friday, May 15, 2009

camera bag







So a huge shout out to Nick at "a time to get" for giving me the heads up on the "Camera Bag" app for the iPhone. I got this tasty little application a number of months ago and have been using it ever since. For those of you not in the know, this gem of an app takes your iPhone's camera and turns into any number of vintage formatted types of film. It does everything from 2 1/4" style, to blown out black and white, and the truly amazing Polaroid. Being that I have taught both film and digital photography, it stings just a little to see these great film stocks not being produced any longer in favor of the digital. However, the camera has always been a tool and tools do improve. There is nothing wrong with my digital camera or the pictures it takes, it just lacks those "Happy Accidents" that make art so exciting sometimes. I suppose it is a bit of nostalgia for the myth of "simpler" times that gets me so psyched up about this little app. Although there is always some melancholy associated with nostalgia, I still find myself always looking for items in my life that have the patina of age, or the signs of use, that harken back to when we as human beings had more involvement with our day to day objects and their inner workings than we do now. These little windows into the past allow me, even for just a little while, to feel like I am living in an authentic world.

No comments:

Post a Comment